Monday, October 13, 2008

Oh Canada - Happy Thanksgiving!

For those who don't know, I work at a hospital. My supervisor is on a medical leave of absence, she's having cancer treatment at City of Hope - please keep her in your thoughts and prayers, she's an amazing woman and is entering the bone marrow treatment program this month, her name is Beverly. In Bev's absence our CMO is working directly with us, and he's just great. He's from Canada, and today is Canadian Thanksgiving, so I made a card for him as a thank you for his support of our team.
The side-effect of making a card for our CMO was that I made some Thanksgiving cards for November too, wow, that's WAY ahead of schedule for me :) I had no clue about Thanksgiving when I came to the USA, but I arrived here just before the holiday in mid-November. It was a really great introduction to this country and it's people. I can't tell you how many people invited me, a total stranger, to their home for Thanksgiving. I didn't know that it's a special day for family and friends, I didn't know it's a day to be thankful for all your blessings, small and large.
As it turned out I spent my first Thanksgiving in New England, in Brookline, Mass, to be exact. It was wonderful, warm, abundant and fully welcoming. About halfway into the day I realized that everyone in this large family had brought home a lost foreigner for Thanksgiving dinner, and I was one of them :) Actually, Henry, my cousin's friend who brought me, his English girlfriend and another English friend, excelled himself - he found three lost foreigners in New York and brought them all home to share the family table. It was an amazing experience for me and truly something I hope never to forget - quintessentially American in all senses - hospitable, welcoming, thankful for the blessings that life brings - so worth celebrating.

Now I've had plenty of Thanksgivings here, but I treasure that first one. A holiday that is all about celebrating the good, family, friends, food - no rush for gifts and gratification, this is all about being thankful - and I am.Happy Thanksgiving to Canadian friends, wherever you are in the world.

Stamp credits: Autumn Leaf Prints - Stampin' Up,
Splatter - Tim Holtz for Stamper's Anonymous,
Greeting - Purple Onion Designs

8 comments:

  1. Lovely cards... I have a piece of background I made that looks similar to yours. Been waiting for inspiration on what to do with it... Think you might have just given it to me... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cards and wonderful story. That is why I like Thanksgiving so much...no worry about anything other than to spend time with family and friends and share a lovely meal. I'll keep you boss, Bev in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story! And lovely cards, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice cards and all the nicer for the sentiment behind them. Glad you are enjoying Thanksgiving (in multiple time zones). Having lived in Plymouth MA for many years it became one of my favourite holidays, how can you go wrong with that simple message of being greatful for all that is good.

    Digging the play list this week, great selection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the multicolor effect you acheived with your leaves. These would be appropriate for any fall card giving occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for showing the cards one by one, I love how the leaves and splatter look. Such nice Fall colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cards are gorgeous. The story you shared warmed my heart. What a beautiful first thanksgiving you had. Keeping Bev in my prayers. City of Hope is an amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue, thanks so much for sharing that lovely story! Thank you for the gentle reminder!
    Your cards are terrific, as usual, your the queen of beautiful backgrounds!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for wandering by, I love to hear from you!