One of the peculiarities of living away from your home country is that holidays and specials days are different - Father's Day in Australia falls in September, but in the USA and UK it's in June; Mother's Day in Australia and the USA falls in May, but in the UK it's in March. With amazing regularity I find myself scrambling to remember to send the right cards at the right time ... yikes! This year I actually managed to send them at the right time, by George I think she's got it (finally!).
So, last weekend was Father's Day in Australia, and I not only got a card in the post, but remembered to call my dear ol' Dad for a good chat too! Dad is definitely a colourful shirt kinda guy :) Growing up I thought all fathers were loving, generous, kind, supportive, family-focused men. Now I'm older I know that's not always the case, I'm so thankful for my father and the way he believed children should have a loving, happy home. Thanks for that Dad! I'll have to forgive your penchant for blasting Swiss yodeling music through the house (and the entire valley) on Sunday mornings - your eclectic music tastes no doubt helped to shape my own :)
I really don't like not being nearby for a family celebration on holidays and special days, it's a major downside of being so far away. OK, signing off before I get all homesick on you! Here's an idea though, before I go - send your parents, family or loved ones a card when it's not their birthday, a holiday, OR Fathers/Mother's day. 'Thinking of you' cards are just about my favourite - no reason at all, just thinking of you :)
Oh, one more thing - isn't there always one more thing?? I love these teeny little buttons from Hero Arts - I just have never actually used them as traditional buttons before (on a shirt) - they've been flower centers, doorknobs, generally dotted around the place for decoration ... whaddya know, they look pretty sweet as buttons! Avagoodweekend all!

Awww! That Nick Rose song; Summer Dress, I was just listening to here on your blog while reading that I really SHOULD send my old dad a just because card, well; it was quite nearly a Hallmark moment. :-) thanks Sue. For the important reminder and the discovery of new good music. (and for being an all'round terrific gal. :-)
ReplyDeletexo, jen
This is so cute! Love it and of course the teeny-tiny buttons are just perfect. This card is such a happy card - I can just hear the surf rolling in and see the surf board nearby.
ReplyDeleteWOW! LOVE this, Sue! The buttons are darling! I didn't realize that Australia celebrated Father's Day on a different day than the US. I really like all of the colors on this card. Very Hawaiian! LOL!
ReplyDeleteThat's a really sweet post about father's day. I hope you found time to give your dad a ring. Makes me want to call my dad even though it's not father's day here.
ReplyDeleteOn a small note, I work for a company called jaxtr (www.jaxtr.com) which offers international calling. Perhaps, it could be a helpful tool for you in staying in touch.
Okay, that's enough from me. And this is a really nice post.
Love the little buttons on the Hawaiin shirt!
ReplyDeleteHi, Sue! I never thought of the fact that different countries celebrate their holidays at different times ... other than their "Independence Day". Thanks for enlightening me to the global village! And thanks for your nice comment on my blog and your well-wishes. :-)
ReplyDeleteHey Sue, love this card and those cute little buttons! I can see your dad in this shirt!!! Loads of love, Kate xxx
ReplyDelete