Thursday, September 18, 2008

Oh Baby!

A friend of mine hosted a baby shower earlier this month - she called me a week before the shower and asked for help with games, decorations and party favors. I'm always up for a creative challenge, but I haven't really been to a whole lot of baby showers and most of those were some time ago when my friends and I were having babies (the babies are in high school now ...) so I had to put my thinking cap on. I remembered my friend Jen talking about a 'diaper cake' she made for her daughter's baby shower, hmm, diaper cake - I feel a web search coming on :) The magic of the internet revealed diaper cakes galore, here's something that can be a decoration, a gift, a memory & guessing game all in one! So, diaper cake it was. For those not familiar, it's NOT a cake, it just vaguely resembles a tiered wedding-style cake.A towering supply of diapers for the new baby, decorated with ribbons, silk flowers and baby items, I actually had a blast putting it together. It was covered in all sorts of baby items and made a decoration, then we covered it and the guests had to remember what was on the cake, guess how many diapers were on the cake, and what might be inside the cake. It was pretty funny, and some of those ladies thought of amazing and bizarre items that might be inside the cake :) The hostess had a lot of cans of formula for the new mom, and the cans made a great base for the cake.The next challenge was to come up something using shell candles that the mom-to-be had purchased for party favors. I have to admit this totally stumped me at first, I was picturing some form of candy in the usual baby-centric wrappings!
Stamp credits: Baby feet - Judikins, Sentiment - SU!

In the end I was pleased with the way they turned out, each organza bag had two candles and some shreddies in it. The basket full of favors was a nice decoration too. The color scheme was orange and green, so I was super tickled to find those silk lilies to match the theme at the craft store - score! This baby shower stuff is fun!
Just one more photo - don't you love this glamorous flower arrangement and chandelier at the shower? Picture a sweeping ocean view through those windows and you're beginning to see how beautiful the hosting home is!

7 comments:

  1. It's really sweet, you did a great job with the diaper cake. I must say that baby showers would be greeted with pretty blank looks here though as we just don't do them in England at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That diaper cake is too cool! I did baby shower goodies about a year ago. I made TONS of fun stuff. It was fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your diaper cake! What a great job you did! And you got very creative and made those party favors shine! Wow! Great going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet is that? I love it!

    Can you believe out of all the things I've experimented and created, I've never attempted one of those? Not even for my own lil' grandbaby!!!

    Yours is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great party full of creative and fun things to celebrate the newest addition to their family.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT JOB Sue!!! Love the cake...great idea using cans for the base. And the soap presentation is just smashing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many fab ideas! What a fun cake, too! Love the shells. Your too clever, Sue!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for wandering by, I love to hear from you!