Friday, November 21, 2008

A Publication Story

A couple of years ago I went to an open call for art hosted by the Stampington editors. I was so excited when they selected my work for publication - wow! Fast forward to yesterday, when the decorated tins and journal pages they had selected arrived on my doorstep, with a note saying they were clearing out their shelves, and if my work had been selected for publication I would have received a letter to that effect. Ah well, it was nice to get my artwork back - and I was surprised and impressed to find it was in pristine condition, the Stampington folks took great care of it over those two and a half years!
Imagine my surprise today when a complimentary copy of the December/January 2009 Stamper's Sampler magazine arrived in my mailbox - with a whole page devoted to my items! Oh yes, I'm delighted. There are a few little errors, my name was mis-spelled just a bit - Sue Mcgettingan , but that's OK, the stamp credits were omitted - Buzz and Bloom, and they published a description of how to make the left hand title page, but published the picture of the right hand second page. So to make sense of the directions, here is a picture of the title page (click on the picture to see it larger) -
If you have the magazine, you can find my 'Tin Can Desktop' on page 31, and my friend Barbara Smith's wonderful 'Deconstructed Stamping' on pages 42 & 43.

Stamp credits: Buzz and Bloom 'Paisley Passion'
Ribbon: Maya Road ‘Soho - Chelsea’
Patterned paper: Basic Grey, Wild Asparagus

Would you like to hear the story behind the pages? I was painting the tins with layers of gesso, turquoise, yellow and white ink/paint, stamping background paper for the trim, and my husband got cranky about my messy artwork being my top priority when there were plenty of other things I could have been doing around the house. So naturally, instead of doing that housework, I grabbed a couple of journal pages and layered the extra paint and ink on the pages, stamped them and journaled ...

"I give myself permission to ...
play, create, dream, invent..."

Ha ha, I encourage you to do the same :)

16 comments:

  1. Yeah! your own section. Very nice. I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, I saw this is the SS! Congrats to you! It's nice to know the story behind it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Sue!!! Congratulations!!! That is so terrific and I look forward to seeing your work. Also, I had no idea they used some of my things too. Sorry you had to wait so long, but what a great thing to to see your work in print!!! Plus, glad to know you received your lovely creations back in such good condition!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on being published! Wooo-hooo! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous news Sue!! And a great looking project - haven't got my copy yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Sue!! How fabulous!! What a great mail day that was for you! Must try to get my hands on that edition now - your projects look fab. Lovely story :) lots of love K xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these are really lovely, and congratulations on the publication! Thank you so much for your comment on my post that authorblog flagged up- really appreciated, and will definitely be coming back to see more of your designs and stories- I'm so fascinated to read about things I'm so unable to create myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay Sue! Sheesh--they sure took their sweet time with it, huh? Big congrats to you, not only for the pub but for getting your stuff back safely! :-)
    Maybe when that ol' dh is in a good mood you can ask him that electricity question for me! thanks. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Sue that is great! I remember this from way back on our days together at B and B. Congrats to you!! I always loved that set!!
    kerilou

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats Sue! Always lovely art from you! I know how exciting the publication can be...only to have your name mispelled! Wonder what is up with that?? LOL. So glad your art is being appreciated by everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A whole page! Way to go girl! Those magazines always have the best eye candy (including you).
    Big congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. CONGRATS!!!! How cool that they hung on to something for two years and then published and returned.

    You rock Missy Sue.

    Hugs
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Big congrats! These pieces are gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, CONGRATS! What a fabulous publication--that is awesome news!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulation Sue. They are great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! I missed this issue. Now I'll have to go see if it's still on the shelves.

    Your pages are lovely, and I enjoyed the story behind the art. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for wandering by, I love to hear from you!