Saturday, July 26, 2008

Eye Candy at The Quilt Show

I went to the Quilt Expo in Long Beach yesterday. I met my quilting buddy Laura there, and some of Laura's needlework pals. Dodged a CRAZY line for panini - they're just toasted sandwiches people, lets move along! Then we plunged into the main hall - oh my goodness! It's a quilt show, but there's a whole lot of other eye candy there and plenty of people taking it all in. Elbow to elbow we herded through the convention center aisles, clustering around booths to 'ooh and aah', you could almost hear the cogs moving in people's heads as they sprouted new ideas and adaptations. The creativity in the room was tangible.



As usual I lost my focus immediately, sidetracked by vintage buttons, books and Kashmiri jackets among other things. There was just too much goodness in one place. Unlike trade shows like CHA, this is a show where almost everything's for sale, even some of the floor samples. I didn't go crazy buying, but among the treasures I brought home are some buttons and beads
(planning to make a necklace for my daughter's birthday); a pattern for a very cool bag (will I make it? No clue, but I NEEDED the pattern :); a book by Beryl Taylor - I was chatting with this very lovely English artist who made such fab stuff and it turned out to be Beryl, whose name I had just written down at the Quilting Arts/Cloth Paper Scissors booth because her book was so fascinating, so yes, I went back to buy it and asked her to sign it, and being a good sport she did; some laser etched mother of pearl and other shells from Lillypilly Designs; some Burmese coins drilled to make buttons, and the most amazing antique Indian carved wood block for stamping on fabric, I'm thinking it will work with paint on paper too.

My greatest discovery of the day came at the very end of the show when I stumbled on the booth of Stewart Gill - truly unique paints and special-effects products for mixed media, they will work on all porous surfaces including of-course fabric and paper. I think these products are going to be the next Big Thing. I have put a link in my sidebar so you can check them out. Rebecca and Sheila were great fun to chat to and they came all the way from Scotland to be at the show!

One of my favorite things at this show was the people I met. The general crowd there is very grounded, very Earth-mother types for the most part, that both surprised me and made me feel very at home. So where are the quilt photos? I'll post those soon :) Hope you're having a peaceful and positive weekend.

7 comments:

  1. wow!This looks like heaven on earth!! Looking forward to see what you do with your new treasures!! K x

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! It all looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my neighbors was exhibiting there! Sounds like you found a lot of goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our local quilt show does NOT look or sound that groovy, but we DO have plenty of earthmamas who don't dye their hair (or shave. Or wear makeup. You get the idea). Thanks for the pics, I can certainly see how anyone in there would be abuzz with creative inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The displays look so tempting and beautifully arranged. no wonder you loved it!

    I use some Stewart Gill stuff, mainly their fine embossing powder in gold and it's really great quality. They are well known here. Did you see their book , I think it's called The Painted Surface? Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohmigoodness! I think I am glad I did not go because my pocketbook could not handle all that goodness! What gorgeous pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue, I wanted to pop over and thank you for always sharing your good wishes and your beautiful art. Thank you for being a friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for wandering by, I love to hear from you!