Sunday, July 20, 2008

Getting Past Perfection

Do you like my brand spankin' new Moleskine watercolor journal and travel watercolor set? So do I :) Only, they're not brand spankin' new, I've had them for months and kept them like this - new in the wrapping and the box. I allowed the raving perfectionist part of me to stop me from just ripping off the cover, sprinkling some water on those paints, and getting started. Why is that? I have no clue. It's not so much fear of the plain page as a love of the pristine page, the untouched paints, and yes, perhaps a little anxiety about stuffing it all up and ruining the book, but who ever said a journal page was supposed to be perfect? No-one, that's who.
So having ripped off the cover the next question is - what to draw? Understand that I have really no drawing experience and very little watercoloring experience to speak of - I've only done a little watercoloring on stamped images to make cards. Hmm, step out into the garden where flowers are blooming and sunflower seedlings are growing - that'll do.
My drawings are nothing special but it was fun to sit out in the shade and just be an observer in my own garden. I won't let the plain page stop me any more, it was much more fun doing this than I expected it to be. I stamped the bee and the bird, the pages needed something and my drawing skills were tapped out :) In the end I like the mixture of drawn and stamped elements. I'm inclined to be a purist too, this is progress!Overall I was really pleased with this as a starting effort, obviously I have a lot to learn but that intimidating first page is done and it wasn't all that scary! Lesson learned - erase pencil guidelines for text after outlining the text in waterproof marker, because after you've painted the pencil lines won't erase ... unless someone wants to give me a great tip for dealing with that?
This is not the seedling I drew, but it's the same variety of sunflower in a different part of the garden. So would you like to share your story about a barrier of your own making that you overcame to reach a goal?

11 comments:

  1. Hi Sue
    I so agree with all you've written here as I think most people will too. Your page is charming and well worth the effort.
    A while ago I bought a little binding machine and I now make my own sketchbooks and journals( well one actually) and I've found that the fear factor is considerably less as there's far less expense involved. I also paint some sort of ground on most of the pages, so that again helps to take off the pressure of the white page, but I have begun to accept the fact that I do like a crisp white BG and there's nothing wrong in that :-)
    BYW thanks so much for your lovely comment on my blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, what a delight! I am in the same place as you--I buy pretty art supplies but they are too pretty to use--I love them all lined up in their pretty packages! But what you have made is prettier than the supplies so you made the right choice! Now if we could just quit our jobs and do more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your watercolouring and that flower photo is just stunning!

    I also wanted to thank-you for the lovely comments you recently left on my blog too - thanks for stopping by and I do hope you return again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby tried to teach me how to draw, but I was just not any good at it. You're doing wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, your drawing is so pretty and soft, really love it.
    If you are scared of cluttering your pages go here:
    http://sarahwhitmire.blogspot.com/
    It's freeing *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet page, post and thoughts to go with it.

    Thanks for sharing with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue, I love your pages! I never realized that you enjoyed sketching. I've been experimenting along these lines myself using a cheap sketchbook! {I'm saving a handmade coptic stitched watercolor book for "the good stuff!" LOL!

    I've not tips or suggestions for you re: pencil lines as I'm experimenting and playing, too. But I look forward to seeing more pages from you!

    Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome!!!! You are so talented! Love your sketches...

    ReplyDelete
  9. 'your drawings are nothing special?' what?? They are AMAZING Sue - I could not do what you've done! Really beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Ozzigirl! Prospurring here, from Two Peas!

    I absolutely love the watercolor and stamped page that you created! It is so gorgeous!

    I also have a tough time letting myself "be a beginner" sometimes, and just playing with new mediums. The book, The Artist's Way, has helped me with that. (More about that on my blog.) So glad you stopped hoarding and started using those lovely supplies! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great Sue :) I think you've done a beautiful job. Good for you for finally getting started. Now to get the courage to do it myself!

    Yep, read The Artist's Way... good book. Just let go and go with the flow... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for wandering by, I love to hear from you!